The search is on for a Christmas Grinch who stole a package from the front porch of a home in Dundee on Tuesday.
Bed news for the crook though, the home at 52nd and California has a doorbell camera that caught every second of her pillaging. The homeowner, Jeanne Scarpello, said in a Facebook post that she missed the Scrooge by about ten minutes.
Although it isn't always possible to protect yourself from porch pirates, the Omaha Police Department offers a few tips to protect yourself from thieves.
- Tell trusted neighbors to keep an eye out for packages if you will be gone.
- Have packages delivered to your work.
- Sign up for delivery alerts from the shipper so you have better idea of when the package will be delivered and can notify a family member or a friend to pick it up if you can't.
- If possible, require a signature for all your deliveries. If there's no one home to sign for the package, it won't be left at your home.
- Report stolen packages to the police so they are better idea of areas being targeted by thieves.